In The Car At The Dinner Table On Vacation Around the House
Parent Discussion Starters (pdf)
In the Car
- How much do you think that ________(school, church, bus, stoplight) would cost.
- Find a car that you think you will be driving in 10 years. How much would it cost?
- What do you think the gas mileage is?
- Why do we put our money in the bank if we have to keep going back for it?
- What does the bank do with the money people put in it?
- What does it mean if a check bounces?
- Where does the money in the bank machines come from?
- Look around and find five things that were made with tax money.
- There’s the bank and a hair styling salon. Would you like to work at a place like one of those? What would your day be like?
- Is it right to play finders-keepers? Is it really mine if I find it?
At the Dinner Table
- How much did this meal cost our family, per person?
- If you could be happy and poor, or rich and miserable, which would you choose?
- Why do people sometimes keep all of their money for themselves instead of sharing with others?
- What is the quickest way to save money?
- Why can’t we just keep all of our money under the bed?
- Grandma and Grandpa are retired. Why can they go on big trips without working at a job?
- If we own our house, why do we have to pay property tax?
- Are credit cards good or bad?
- If our home was burning down and you had two minutes to rescue three items, what would they be? Would our insurance cover those items?
- If I owe someone money and I don’t have any left, what do I do?
- Where does dad’s boss get the money to pay him?
- How much money have we spent so far? How much will we have spent by tomorrow at this time?
- How can we save $5 on our next meal?
- Why would happen if we tried to trade something we have for something we need?
- Why do people waste their money on dumb things?
- Why can’t we have everything we want, even though we are on vacation?
- Why do we still want more when we have so much?
- Why do we need to save before we go on vacation?
- How can people go on vacation if they don’t have money?
Around the House
- If you could choose one thing that would be free for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- What happens if you are late paying a credit card bill?
- If someone offered you a job being a voice for a cartoon, how much would you charge them?
- If you won $100, what would you do with it?
- If you could invent something that would make life easier, what would it be?
- What are five things in your room you could do without or donate?
- How do parents decide if their kids just get allowance or if they work to earn their allowance?
- Why do the people playing sports on TV make so much money?
- How should we decide what to spend our money on?
Additional Dollar Stretching Family Activities